A presentation of the Christ Almighty blog.
If you cant find it here, it may have been ported there. Give it a search!
More Christ

30 September 2014

Hermas:
The Shepherd, 1-5.

The Shepherd written around the year 140, is one of the books of the New Testament Apocrypha, and for the next century many early Christians considered it scripture. It was written by Hermas, a Christian prophet, an ex-slave, and brother of Pope Pius of Aquileia.

1. Hermas sins, and is corrected.

The man who brought me up sold me to a certain Rhoda in Rome. Many years later I saw her, and began to love her like a sister. Some time later I saw her washing in the Tiber, and offered my hand to help her out of the river. At the sight of her beauty, I thought to myself: “How happy I’d be if my wife were as beautiful and good as she!” My thoughts went this far; no further.

A little later, walking the road to the villages, glorying in the greatness, splendor, and power of God’s creatures, I fell asleep and the Spirit carried me away: He took me to a pathless place where no one could travel. It was rocky, craggy, and running water made it near-impassible. Crossing that river, coming to a plain, I knelt down and began to pray to the Lord, confessing my sins. As I prayed the heavens opened, and I saw the woman I desired, waving at me from the sky, saying, “Hello, Hermas!” Looking at her, I said, “Ma’am, what are you doing here?” She answered, “I’ve been taken up to correct you of your sins before the Lord.”

I said, “Ma’am, are you making an accusation?” She said, “No. But hear the words I say to you.

God, who dwells in the heavens,
who created what is from what is not,
who multiplies and increases them for the sake of his holy church,
is angry with you for sinning against me.”

In reply I said, “Sinned against you? How? Have I ever made an inappropriate remark to you? Haven’t I always treated you like a lady, respected you like a sister? Why do you falsely accuse me of wickedness and uncleanness?” She laughed:

“The desire of evil did rise in your heart.
Don’t you believe it’s sin
when an evil desire rises in a righteous man’s heart?
It is sin; a great sin.
A righteous man’s thoughts should be righteous.
When he thinks righteously, he establishes a heavenly character,
and the Lord is merciful to him in everything he does.
But when he entertains evil in his heart,
he draws down death and captivity upon himself.
Especially those who strive for this world,
glory in their riches, and ignore the blessings of the life to come.
Their souls will be filled with regret:
Their hope isn’t in the Lord.
They’ve given up on themselves and their life.
As for you: Pray to God. He’ll heal your sins—
and those in your home church, and all the saints.”

Speaking these words, the heavens were shut.

I was overwhelmed with sorrow and fear. I told myself, “If even this sin is on the record about me, how can I ever be saved? How can I get God’s favor back? My many sins are of the grossest character! What words can I use to ask the Lord to be merciful to me?”

While I thought these things over in my heart, I saw a great white wool chair, white as snow. An old woman, dressed in a brilliant robe, with a book in her hand, sat down alone in it, and waved to me: “Hello, Hermas!” In sadness, in tears I told her, “Hello, ma’am.” She told me, “Why so depressed, Hermas? You’re usually patient and gentle and always smiling; why so gloomy, not cheerful?” In reply I told her, “Ma’am, I’ve been rebuked by a very good woman, who says I sinned against her.”

She said, “Far be it for one of God’s servants to do such a thing. But desire for her did rise from your heart. And thoughts like these produce sin in God’s servants. It’s a wicked, horrible thing for a tried-and-true spirit to wish to do evil—especially a Hermas, who keeps himself away from evil desires, keeps things simple, and has great integrity. But this isn’t why God is angry with you. He wants you to correct your home church. They’ve sinned against their parents—the Lord, and you—and though you love your children, you don’t correct them, but let them fall into terrible corruption. This is why the Lord is angry with you. Yet he will heal all the evils which were done in your home church. Because of their sins and evil deeds, you’ve been ruined by worldly things, but the great mercy of the Lord has taken pity on you and your home church, and will strengthen you and establish you in his glory. So don’t be careless. Encourage and strengthen your household.

Like a smith hammers his work, and does whatever he wishes with it,
a daily righteous word can overcome all evil.

So don’t stop correcting your children. I know if they repent with all their hearts, they’ll be listed in the Books of Life with the saints.”

And after these remarks she told me, “Do you want to hear me read?” I said, “Yes, ma’am,” and she told me, “Listen, and hear the glories of God.” Then she told me glorious, magnificent, wonderful things—things I can’t remember, for all her words were too frightening to comprehend, but I do recall her last words, for they were gentle and helpful:

“Look, the God of Armies,
who created the world by his invisible mighty power and great wisdom;
who clothed his creation with beauty by his glorious good pleasure;
who fixed the heavens and founded the earth on the waters by his strong word;
who founded and blessed his holy church by his own wisdom and providence.
Look, he removes the heavens, the mountains, the hills, the seas,
and levels everything for his chosen people,
to give them the blessing he promised them with great glory and joy—
if only they keep God’s commands, which they received in great faith.”

When she finished reading and rose from the chair, four young men came and took the chair, and went off to the east. She called me, touched my chest, and told me, “Were you pleased with my reading?” I told her, “Ma’am, the last words pleased me, but the first were difficult and harsh.” She told me, “The last words are for the righteous. The first are for pagans and apostates.” And as she spoke to me, two men appeared, lifted her onto their shoulders, and went east, where the chair was. She left with a joyful look, and told me, “Hermas, be encouraged.”

2. Her book of revelations.

Same time as last year: As I went to the villages, I remembered the vision from last year as I walked. Again, the Spirit carried me off, and took me to the same place he had before. Arriving at the place, I fell on my knees and began to pray to the Lord, glorifying his name, for he considered me worthy of telling me of my previous sins. Rising from prayer, I saw before me the old woman from last year, walking and reading some book.

She told me, “Can you report these things to God’s chosen people?” I told her, “Ma’am, I can’t remember everything, but give me the book and I’ll copy it down.” She said, “Take it, and give it back to me later.” So I took it. I went to a certain part of the country, and copied everything letter by letter, for I couldn’t sound out the words. But the moment I finished copying the book, it was suddenly snatched from my hands; I didn’t see who snatched it. After much fasting and praying to the Lord, 15 days later the meaning of the words were revealed to me. The writing said this:

“Hermas, your seed have sinned against God.
They’ve slandered the Lord.
In their great wickedness, they betrayed their parents,
and are known for it, and it’s done them no good.
Even now, they’re adding to their sin:
Lust, evil behavior, and fully behaving as lawless ones.
Now, make these words known to all your children,
and your wife—who from now on is your sister.
She doesn’t restrain her tongue, and sins with it;
when she hears these words, she will restrain it, and receive mercy.
And after you make known to your children these words
which my Lord commanded me to reveal to you,
they’ll be forgiven all the sins they committed in the past.
Forgiveness will be granted to all the saints who sinned, from then to now,
if they repent with all their hearts, and drive all doubts from their minds.
The Lord has sworn to his chosen people by his glory:
If any one of them sins after a certain fixed day, they won’t be saved.
Repentance, for the righteous, has a time limit.
The saints have reached their limit; the pagans have until the last day.
So tell the church elders to direct their ways in righteousness,
so they may fully receive the promises with great glory.
Stand firm, workers of righteousness!
Don’t doubt. Walk with the holy angels.
How awesome for those who endure the coming great tribulation.
How awesome for those who don’t reject their Christian lives.
The Lord has sworn by his Son:
Those who deny their Messiah have abandoned eternal life in despair;
in the days to come, they’ll abandon him completely.
But those who denied him in the past:
God is merciful, and has great compassion.

“As for you, Hermas:

Don’t cling to the wrongs your children have done to you,
nor neglect your sister,
so they can be cleansed from their former sins.
If you don’t cling to the wrongs they’ve done you,
you can instruct them with righteous instruction.
Clinging to past wrongs brings death.
Forgetting them brings eternal life.
Hermas, you went through many trials personally,
because of the wrongdoing in your home church,
because you didn’t care for them,
but were careless and got involved in your own wicked dealings.
But you’re saved: You didn’t fall away from the living God.
You kept it simple, and exercised self-control.
These things saved you when you stay with them.
They save anyone who stay with them,
who practice honesty and simplicity.
Those who possess these virtues will defeat every form of evil,
and will stand firm till they receive eternal life.
How awesome for those who practice righteousness!
They’ll never be destroyed.

“Tell Maximus: ‘Look, tribulation is coming if you decide to quit the faith again. The Lord is close to those who turn to him, like Eldad and Medad said when they prophesied to the people in the wilderness.’”

Christians, I was given a revelation while I slept: A handsome young man told me, “Who do you think that old woman is, from whom you got the small book?” I said, “The Sibyl.” He said, “No, you’re mistaken; it’s not the Sibyl.” I said, “Who is she then?” He said, “She’s God’s church.” I said, “Why’s she an old woman?” He said, “She was created before everything; that’s why she’s old. It was for her sake the world was made.”

After that, I had a vision in my house: The old woman came and asked me, “Have you already given the book to the elders?” I said, “I hadn’t.” She said, “Good; I have words to add. But once I finish the words, the chosen people will hear of them through you. Write two small books: One for Clement, one for Grapte. Clement will send it to the cities across the sea, since that’s his job; Grapte will teach the widows and orphans; you will read the words in this city, together with the elders who preside over the church.”

3. Building the triumphant church.

So this is the vision I saw, Christians. After much fasting, asking the Lord to show me the revelation he promised to show me through the old woman, that very night she appeared to me and told me, “Since you’re so anxious and eager to know everything, go into the field where you farm. At about the fifth hour after sunrise, I’ll appear to you and show you what you need to see.” I asked her, “Ma’am, which part of the field should I go to?” She told me, “Wherever you want.” So I chose a good spot, and waited. (Before I tell you about the place: She told me, “I’ll go wherever you want.”) So I went to the field, counted the hours, and went to the place where I promised to meet her.

I saw an ivory couch set up, a linen cushion on it, and atop the cushion a blanket of fine linen. Seeing these things there, but no one else there yet, I began to feel fear and trembling. My hair stood on end and irrational fear came upon me because I was alone. But I pulled myself together and remembered God’s glory. I fell to my knees and confessed my sins to the Lord, as I had before. Then the old woman arrived, with six young men who I also had seen before, and she stood by me and listened as I prayed and confessed my sins to the Lord.

She touched me and said, “Hermas, stop praying about your sins all the time. Pray for righteousness—so you can take some of it home with you immediately.” She raised me up by the hand, brought me to the couch, and told the young men, “Go and build.” After the young men left and we were alone, she told me, “Sit here.” I told her, “Ma’am, let my elders sit first.” She said, “Do as I tell you. Sit down.”

I wished to sit at her right, but she didn’t allow it; her hand moved me to the her left. As I thought about this—a little irritated she wouldn’t allow me to sit at her right—she told me, “Are you irritated, Hermas? The right seat is for others; those who God already approved of, who suffered for his name’s sake. You have a lot to do before you can sit with them. But keep single-mindedly following him as you do, and you will sit with them—with all who do as they did, who endure what they endured.” I said, “What have they endured?” She said, “Listen: Whippings. Prisons. Great tribulations. Crucifixions. Wild animals, for the sake of God’s name. That’s why they’re assigned the right hand of holiness; they and everyone who suffers for the name.

“But the same rewards, the same promises, are reserved for those sitting on both the right and the left. Those who sit on the right get some glory. You’re eager to sit with those on the right, but you have too many shortcomings. But you’ll be cleansed from these shortcomings. So will all who deal with their doubts. They’ll be cleansed from all their sins till the present day.”

Saying this, she wished to leave, but I fell at her feet and begged her by the Lord to show me the vision she promised to show me. She again took me by the hand and raised me, made me sit at her left, and held up a shining scepter. She told me, “Do you see something great?” I said, “Ma’am, I see nothing.” She said, “Look! Don’t you see before you a great tower, built on the waters, made of shining square stones?” For this tower was being built in a square by the six young men who came with her.

Ten thousand men were carrying stones to it. Some dragged them out of the watery deep; some took them from the land; they gave them to the six young men., who took them and built with them. All the stones dragged out of the water were put into the building just as they were—carved, fitting exactly into the other stones, so well-joined with one another one couldn’t see the seams. For this reason, the tower looked as if it were made of one stone. But the other stones taken from the land: Some they threw away, some they put into the building, some they broke up and threw far away from the tower. Many other stones were lying round the tower, which the young men didn’t use for building, for some were rough, some had cracks, some were chipped, some were white and round and weren’t suitable for the building. Likewise I saw other stones, thrown far away from the tower and fallen on the road. They didn’t stay there; they fell into places no one could travel. Other stones fell into fire and were burned. Others fell by the water, yet couldn’t be rolled into the water, though they wished to enter the water.

After showing me these visions, the old woman wished to leave. I told her, “What good is seeing all this? I don’t know what it means.” She told me, “You’re a clever fellow. Don’t you want to know about the tower?” I said, “Yes ma’am, so I can tell my fellow Christians, so they’ll be joyful and know the Lord in great glory.” She said, “And many will listen, and be glad to hear it; and some will weep. But even they, if they hear and repent, will rejoice. So listen to the parable of the tower; I’ll reveal everything. But don’t bother me any further about this revelation; this revelation is over and done. Yet, shameless as you are, you never will stop praying for revelations.

“The tower you see being built: That’s me, the church, who appears to you now, and in the past. So ask whatever you like about the tower and I’ll reveal it, so you can rejoice with the saints.” I told her, “Ma’am, since you offered to tell me everything once, reveal it.” She said, “Whatever ought to be revealed, will be. Just let your heart be with God, and don’t doubt whatever you see.”

I asked, “Ma’am, why was the tower built on the water?” She said, “I told you already, yet you keep asking. But that’s how you find truth.

This is why the tower is built on the water:
Your life has been, and will be, saved through water.
The tower’s foundation is the Almighty’s word, and glorious name,
and it’s kept together by the Lord’s invisible power.”

Replying, I told her, “This is great and marvelous. But who are the six young men doing the building?” She said, “They’re God’s holy angels, the first he created, and handed his whole creation over to them to grow it and build it up and govern it. The building will be finished through them. Who are the other persons dragging along the stones? Also the Lord’s holy angels, but the first six are greater than they. Once the tower is built and done, all will rejoice together around the tower, and glorify God, because the tower is done.”

I questioned her, saying, “Ma’am, I’d like to know about the stones, and what the different kinds of stones mean.” She said, “I tell you, not because you’re more deserving than anyone to receive this revelation, but so God’s name may be glorified. That’s why it’s given to you, and to doubters who wonder whether these things are true or not. Tell them they’re all true, and none of them is beyond the truth. All are firm and decided, established on a strong foundation. Now listen to what the building’s stones mean.

“The square white stones which fit exactly together: They’re apostles, supervisors, teachers, and ministers. They walk in reverence of God; they act as supervisors and teachers and ministers, with purity and reverence, to God’s chosen. Some have fallen asleep. Some are still living. They’ve always agreed with one another, and kept peace among themselves, and listen to one another. This is why they join perfectly into the building of the tower. The stones dragged from the water, put into the tower and fit together with the rest of the stones previously placed in it: They suffered for the Lord’s name’s sake.”

I said, “Ma’am, I wish to know who are the other stones which were taken from the land.” She said, “Those which go into the building without cutting are those God approved of: They walked in the Lord’s straight way, and practiced his commands. Those which are being brought and placed in the building: They’re young in faith; they’re faithful, but they’re encouraged by the angels to do good. Hence no evil has been found in them. Who are those they rejected and threw away?—Sinners who wish to repent, and for this reason they’ve not been thrown far from the tower, because they’ll still be useful in the building if they repent. Those who will repent will be strong in the faith once they do, provided they repent while the tower is under construction. Once the building is finished, there will no longer be room for anyone; they’ll be thrown out. Their only benefit is they’ve been placed near the tower.

“But those broken up and thrown far away from the tower—do you want to know what they are? Sons of lawlessness. Their faith was hypocrisy. Their wickedness never left them. So they’ve been broken apart and thrown far away, because of the Lord’s anger; they provoked him to anger. The many other stones lying in great numbers around, not going into the building: The rough ones know the truth but don’t persist in it, and don’t stay with the saints, so they’re unfit for use. Those with cracks: They argue in their hearts with one another, and have no peace in themselves; they fake peace with one another, but when they’re alone they keep discord in their hearts. These are the cracks in the stones. The chipped stones: They indeed believed, and are largely righteous, but also largely lawless, so they’re chipped; they’re not whole.”

“But ma’am, who are the white, round stones which don’t fit into the construction of the tower?” Answering, she said, “How long will you stay foolish and stupid, and ask every question yet understand nothing? These stones have faith—but they also have worldly wealth. So when tribulation comes, they deny their Lord in favor of their riches and their business.” Answering, I told her, “Ma’am, when will they be useful for building?” She said, “When the wealth which seduces them has been ripped from them. Then God can use them. Just like a round stone isn’t square till portions are cut off and thrown away, those who are rich in this world are useless to the Lord till their riches are cut off. You know from your own experience: When you were rich you were useless. Now, you’re useful and fit for eternal life. Stay useful to God. You will also be used, like one of these stones.

“The other stones, which you saw thrown far from the tower, falling on the road and rolling into places no one can go: These people did believe, but were double-minded, and left the true path because they thought they could find a better one. They wander. They’re wretched, and go nowhere. The stones which fall into fire and were burned: These people have left the living God forever. Repentance no longer enters their hearts. They’re devoted to their lusts, to the crimes they committed. The stones which fell near the waters but can’t roll into them—do you wish to know what they are? These people heard the word, and want to be baptized in the Lord’s name, but when the truth comes out that they have to live holy lives, they pull away and go back to their own wicked desires.” And thus she finished explaining the tower.

Shameless as I was, I asked her: “Is repentance possible for any of these stones which were thrown far away, which don’t fit into the tower’s construction? Can they still have a place in the tower?” She said, “Repentance is possible. But they won’t find they fit in this tower. They’ll be placed in another, much inferior place, where they’re tormented by their sins, where they live out their sinful days. Because they briefly followed the righteous word, they’ll be placed there, and will only be removed from their torment when the thought of repentance from their evil deeds comes into their hearts. But if it never comes into their hearts, they won’t be saved; their hearts are hard.”

Once I stopped asking questions about these things, she told me, “Do you wish to see anything else?” I was eager to see more, and my face shone with joy. She looked at me with a smile and said, “Do you see seven women around the tower?” I said, “Yes, ma’am.” She said, “This tower is supported by them, following the Lord’s command. Let me tell you their functions.

“The first of them, clasping her hands together, is called Faith. Through her, God’s chosen people are saved. Another, gathering her garment up and acting vigorously, is Self-Control. She’s Faith’s daughter, and whoever followers her will be happy all their life, for they’ll restrain themselves from every evil deed, believing if they restrain themselves from all evil desires, they’ll inherit eternal life.” I said, “Ma’am, who are the others?” She told me, “Daughters of each other, called Simplicity, Honesty, Purity, Reverence, and Love. When you do the works of their mother, you’re able to live.” I said, “I’d like to know which power each of them has.” She said, “Listen to what power they have. Their powers are controlled by one another; they follow each other in the order of their birth. Faith begat Self-Control, and Self-Control begat Simplicity, and Simplicity begat Honesty, and Honesty begat Purity, and Purity begat Reverence, and Reverence begat Love. So their acts are pure, reverent, and divine. Whoever serves them and sticks to their works will have a dwelling in the tower with God’s saints.”

Then I asked her if the End has come yet. She cried out in a loud voice, “You fool, don’t you see the tower under construction? When the tower’s finished and built, then the End comes, and it’ll come soon enough. Ask me no more questions. Be content, you and all the saints, with what I remind you of, for this revelation isn’t for you alone. They were given to you so you can show them to all. Be careful to remember this: After three days, I order you to speak all the words I’ll now say into the saints’ ears. Thus, hearing and doing them, they can be cleansed of their sins—you included.

“Listen to me, my children.
I brought you up simply, and honestly, and reverently,
because of the Lord’s mercy.
He poured his righteousness into you,
so you can be righteous and holy from all your sin and depravity.
Yet you don’t wish to stop your sinning.
So listen to me.
Be at peace with one another.
Look after each other. Bear one another’s burdens.
“Don’t eat God’s creatures alone;
give abundantly from them to the needy.
Because they eat so much food,
some produce weakness in their flesh and corrupt it.
Because they have no food,
others are malnourished, and waste away.
This lack of self-control in eating
is harming you who have abundance and won’t give to the needy.
Watch out for the coming judgment!
So you who have high status:
Seek out the hungry so long that the tower isn’t finished.
For once the tower is finished,
you’ll wish you still could do good,
but your chance is gone.
Listen, you who glory in your wealth,
lest the needy groan, and their groans ascend to the Lord,
and you and your wealth are shut outside the tower’s gate.

“I say to those who lead the church, and love to sit in the front row: Don’t be like drug dealers.

Drug dealers carry their drugs in containers,
but you carry your drugs and poisons in your heart.
You’re hardened, and don’t wish to clean your hearts,
and mix purity and wisdom together,
so you can get mercy from the great King.
So listen, children, lest your arguing deprives you of eternal life.
How can you teach the Lord’s chosen people if you won’t hear his teaching?
Teach one another. Have peace with one another.
Thus I can stand before the Father
and give a good account of you all to your Lord.”

When she finished speaking to me, the six young men who were building came and carried her to the tower. Another four lifted up the couch, and brought it to the tower as well. I didn’t see their faces; they were turned away from me. As she left, I asked her to explain the three forms in which she appeared to me. She said, “As for that, you must ask someone else to reveal their meaning.” Christians, she appeared to me in the first vision the previous year as a very old woman sitting in a chair. In the second vision her face was young, but her skin and hair indicated age, and she stood while speaking to me, and was more joyful than the first time. But in the third vision she was entirely youthful, supremely beautiful—but her hair was that of an old lady. And towards the end, she was quite joyful and sat on a couch. I was very depressed about these appearances; I wanted to know what the vision meant.

Then, in a dream at night, I saw the old woman telling me, “Every prayer must come with humility. So fast, and you’ll receive from the Lord what you ask.” So I fasted for a day, and that same night a young man appeared to me and said, “Why do always ask for instant revelations in prayer? Be careful, lest you hurt yourself physically. Be satisfied with the revelations. You think you’ll see greater revelations than before?” In reply I told him, “Sir, I only ask for the rest of the revelation about these three forms.” In reply he told me, “How dense are you? Your doubts make you dense; you haven’t turned your heart to the Lord.” In reply I told him, “Sir, I can learn this more accurately from you.” He said, “Listen to what I say about the three forms which you ask about.

“Why did she appear to you first as an old woman in a chair?
Because your spirit is old and withered up.
It’s lost its power because of your weakness and doubt.
Like old men who have no hope of getting their youth back,
and expect nothing but their final rest,
you’ve been weakened by worldly things,
and haven’t handed your worries over to the Lord.
Your spirit is broken.
You’ve grown old with your griefs.”

I said, “Sir, I’d like to know why she was sitting in a chair.” He answered,

“Because every weak person sits in a chair on account of their weakness,
so their weak body is supported.

“There, that’s the meaning of the first vision. In the second vision you saw her standing with a younger appearance, more joyful than the first time, though with the flesh and hair of an old woman. Listen to this parable now.

When one becomes old,
they give up hope because of weakness and poverty,
and look forward to nothing but the last day of their life.
Imagine such a person suddenly receives an inheritance:
Hearing of it, they rise up,
become very joyful, gather strength—
no longer sitting but standing, with a renewed spirit
though it was ruined by its former practices,
no longer sitting but strong.
Likewise it happened with you
when you heard the revelation God gave you.
The Lord had compassion on you and renewed your spirit,
and you put your weakness aside.
Strength arose, and you were empowered in faith,
and the Lord rejoiced at seeing your strength.
For this reason he showed you the building of the tower,
and he’ll show you other things
if you continue living at peace with one another, with all your heart.
“In the third vision you saw her even younger;
lovely and joyful, with a beautiful appearance.
For just as a sad person suddenly gets some good news,
and immediately forgets the old sorrows
and looks at nothing but the good news they just heard,
their spirit is renewed because of the joy they received.
Hence you also had your spirit renewed
by seeing these good things.
As for seeing her on a couch:
Her position is that of strength,
for a couch has four feet, and stands firmly,
just like the world is based on four elements.
Those who repent entirely, with their whole heart,
will become young and firmly established.

“And now you have the full revelation. Don’t ask for more. If anything has to be revealed, it’ll be revealed to you.”

4. The coming tribulation.

Christians, 20 days later I saw another vision: A representation of the tribulation which is to come.

I was going to the country by the Campana Road; the house was 10 stadia from the public road. Not many go to that district. As I walked alone, I prayed to the Lord to finish the revelations which he gave me through his holy church, so he’d strengthen me and encourage repentance among all his servants who are going astray, so his great and glorious name would be honored because he chose to show me these wonders. As I glorified him and thanked him, a voice (I suppose) answered me: “Stop doubting, Hermas.” I began to argue with myself: “How am I doubting? I’m rock-solid with the Lord; I’ve seen all these glorious sights!”

Christians, as I walked further, I saw dust rising into the sky, and began to say to myself, “Are cattle approaching, and kicking up the dust?” It was about a stadium away. But it rose more and more, and I wondered whether it was sent by God. The sun shone through it, and look!—a mighty animal, like a whale, and fiery locusts came out of its mouth. The animal was about 100 feet long, with a head like an urn. I began to cry and ask the Lord to rescue me from it, and I remembered the word I heard: “Stop doubting, Hermas.” Christians: Clothed with faith in the Lord, remembering the wonderful things he taught me, I faced the animal boldly, as it came towards me with such noise and force it could have flattened a city. I came near it, and the monstrous animal stretched itself on the ground, sticking out its tongue; it did nothing till I passed it by. The animal had four colors on its head: Black, red like fire and blood, gold, and white.

After I went 30 feet past the wild animal, look: A virgin met me, dressed as if she came from a bridal chamber, entirely in white, with white sandals, veiled up to her forehead, a turban on her head, and her hair was white. I knew from my former visions this was the church, so I became more joyful. She waved at me, saying, “Hello, sir.” And I returned her wave and said, “Hello, ma’am.”

In reply she told me, “Has anything crossed your path?” I said, “Ma’am, I was met by an animal so large it could destroy nations, but through the Lord’s power and great mercy I escaped it.” She said, “Yes you did.

You gave your worries to God,
and opened your heart to the Lord,
believing you could be saved by nothing but his great, glorious name.
Hence the Lord sent his angel who rules over the animals,
whose name is Thegri, to shut its mouth, so it can’t hurt you.
You escaped this tribulation because of your faith,
because you didn’t doubt in the face of such an animal.
So go tell the Lord’s chosen people of his mighty deeds.
Tell them this animal is a type of the great tribulation which is coming.
If you prepare yourselves, repent with all your heart,
and turn to the Lord, it’ll be possible for you to escape it.
If your heart is pure and spotless,
and you blamelessly serve the Lord the rest of the days of your life,
put your cares on the Lord: He’ll set them straight.
Trust the Lord, you doubters.
He’s almighty; he can turn his wrath away from you,
and send plagues to the doubters.
How sad for those who hear these words and dismiss them.
Better they were never born.”

I asked about the four colors the animal had on its head. In reply, she told me, “Again you’re curious about these details?” I said, “Yes, ma’am. Tell me what they are.” She said, “Listen.

The black is the world we live in.
The color of fire and blood
point out how this world must perish in blood and fire.
The gold is those of you who escape this world,
like gold tested by fire which is made useful,
and so are the tested people who live in it.
These people who stay steadfast and pass through fire
will be made pure, and therefore fit into the building of the tower.
The white is the age to come, where God’s chosen will live,
since God’s chosen will be spotless and pure.

For this reason, don’t stop speaking these things into the ears of the saints. This represents the coming great tribulation; if you want, for you it’ll come to nothing. Remember those things which have already been written.” And with this, she left. I didn’t see where she went, for there was a cloud of dust—I heard a noise and turned round in fear, thinking the animal was coming.

5. The commands.

Praying at my house, sitting on my couch, a man with a glorious appearance entered, dressed like a shepherd with a white goatskin round him, a bag on his shoulders, and a rod in his hand. He greeted me; I greeted him. He sat beside me and said immediately, “I’ve been sent by a venerable angel, to live with you for the rest of your life.”

I thought he came to tempt me. I told him, “Who are you? For I know who’s been put in charge of me.” He told me, “Don’t you know me?” I said no. He said, “I’m the shepherd who’s been put in charge of you,” and as he spoke, his form changed, and I realized he was the one who’s been put in charge of me.

I was out of my mind in fear, and overwhelmed with deep sorrow for answering him so wickedly and stupidly, but in reply he told me, “Don’t lose your head. Take strength from the commands I’m going to give you. I’ve been sent to show you once more all the things you saw before, especially the things you’ll find useful. So first of all, write down my commands and apocalypses, and everything else as I show you. The reason why I command you to write down the commands and apocalypses first, is so you can read them easily, and keep them better.”

So I wrote down the commands and apocalypses, just as he ordered me. If after you hear them, you keep them and walk in them and practice them with a pure heart, you’ll receive from the Lord what he promised you. If after you hear them, you don’t repent and accumulate even more sins, you’ll recieve from the Lord the opposite. The Shepherd, the angel of repentance, ordered me to write this.